This is the recipe for the Yule Log from my YouTube video. This sponge cake is simple, straightforward and completely customizable to satisfy any palate and season. It is also the perfect preparation to also turn it into a beautiful and delicious Holiday Yule Log.
• 200g = 7oz = 4 Whole eggs
• 100g = 3.5 oz = ½ cup Sugar
• 100g = 3.5 oz Unbleached all purpose flour
• 5g = 1 full tsp Baking powder
• 2g = ½ tsp Kosher salt
1. For a thorough explanation on the techniques and tips to make this recipe, check out my YouTube video on it!
2. Stick a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of a half sheet tray by spraying some cooking spray first. Make sure the paper fits perfectly on the bottom of the tray.
3. Preheat your oven to 350ºF
4. Whip eggs, sugar and salt using a standup mixer with the whisk attachment or a handheld electric mixer until it is pale in color and very airy.
5. Combine flour and baking soda and then sift half over the eggs mixture.
6. Gently fold all ingredients until you can no longer see flour. Then sift in the other half and repeat.
7. Pour the batter onto your prepared sheet tray and carefully spread throughout from edge to edge with an offset spatula.
8. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges can easily separate from the parchment paper and it is a light golden brown.
9. Turn upside down on a piece of parchment paper and peel off the bottom paper. Flip over again.
10. Use the new parchment paper, a cloth, towel or silicone mat to help you roll it. Keep it rolled for about 10 minutes or until it cools down. This will ensure that the sponge cake does not crack once you are actually ready to roll it with your filling.
11. Unroll the cake and fill with your favorite fillings like ganache, marmalade, dulce de leche, Nutella, curds, pastry creams, buttercreams, etc etc etc.
12. Roll again and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, even though this time will greatly depend on your filling.
Decorate accordingly and cut into slices when you are ready to serve. Enjoy!