Traditional flat bread from the Region of Emilia Romagna, Italy.
• 250g all purpose (AP) flour
• 150g whole or 2% milk
• 10g salt
• 20g lard, vegetable fat or butter
• EITHER 1.5g (½ tsp) dry active yeast OR ½ tsp baking soda
1. Combine AP flour, lard and leavener in a bowl.
2. Add the salt to the milk so it begins to dissolve.
3. Add the milk and knead for about 3-5 minutes until you can form a dough ball.
4. Cover the dough with a bowl or plastic wrap and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
5. Cut the dough into 120-125g pieces and form small balls (these will be good size piadine!)
6. Roll the dough VERY thin, thinner than you think!
7. Cook over medium high heat on a sauté pan or flat top. Flip after about 3 minutes or until it looks like on the picture.
8. Fill it with traditional ingredients like prosciutto, arugula and stracchino or mozzarella cheese. Or not so traditional like eggplant, tomato sauce and pepperoncino...or anything you have in your fridge!
Oh! and don’t forget dessert! Nutella, dulce de leche, strawberries, peanut butter and bananas...all yummy options!