HOT CROSS BUNS
Traditional Easter sweet bread buns
• All. P. Flour 454 g.
• Instant dry yeast 8 g.
• Eggs 181 g.
• Milk, whole 96 g.
• Sugar 45 g.
• Salt 9 g.
• Butter 272 g.
Thick pastry cream for the cross:
• Milk, whole 180 g.
• Yolk 60 g.
• Sugar 70 g.
• Cornstarch 15 g.
• Vanilla paste 6 g.
• Butter 6 g.
*This recipe is a brioche so for those who know, just follow a traditional technique.
1) Place eggs and milk on the bottom of your mixing machine. Then the sugar and salt. Finally pour the flour and yeast on the top.
2) Mix with the dough hook. Once the dough comes together, keep mixing for another 4 min or until a nice dough ball has developed.
3) Add the butter little by little. Make sure that the dough comes back together as a ball after about each 50g.
4) Place the dough in a covered container and proof overnight (between 12-16 hrs).
5) The next morning, take out the dough from the fridge for about one hour.
6) Make dough balls weighing about 80g each.
7) Proof on a half sheet tray for 1.5 hrs.
8) egg wash and add the pastry cream cross.
9) Bake at 350F for about 22-25 min.