This eggplant and caramelized onion dip is super healthy and easy to make. Perfect for a happy hour or a snack party while watching a game! Watch my Reel on my Instagram to see the procedure.
• 1 large eggplant
• 1 medium yellow onion
• 2 garlic cloves, whole
• 3 T Greek yogurt, 2%
• 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
• 2 tsp Za’atar
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Extra virgin olive oil and more Za’atar to serve
1. Roast the eggplant whole at 425F for about 50 minutes
2. Let it cool completely
3. In the mean time, slice the onion in thin strips.
4. Add 2 T of evoo to a pot and cook the onions with the garlic for about 20-25 minutes or until they are golden and caramelized. Add a pinch of salt.
5. Make sure you cook them with the lid on and if you see they start to burn a little, simple add a splash of water and continue to cook, this will actually allow them to caramelize better.
6. Cut the cool eggplant lengthwise and scoop out the pulp or flesh. Add it to a blender.
7. Add the caramelized onions with the garlic and process just for a few seconds, then add the yogurt, vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper and the za’atar.
8. Process for a few more seconds until it is smooth but still with some texture. Don’t process too long because it might get to liquid.
9. Serve with a drizzle of evoo and a sprinkle of za’ataar on top.
Enjoy with your favorite crackers, olives, veggies or pita chips.