• 12oz (340g) Fresh ricotta
• 1 tsp. Kosher salt
• Black pepper to taste
• Lemon zest of 1 lemon
1. Place your ricotta inside a bowl and season (to taste really) with the salt, black pepper and lemon zest. You could also use other spices, nuts or herbs like dried oregano, pistachios, saffron, orange zest or you could even make it sweet by adding cinnamon and sugar! Whatever your heart desires.
2. If your ricotta came in a plastic basket, carefully place it back in it and simply put it (open side up) on top of a wire rack placed over a sheet tray. If it's homemade or came in a different packaging, place it over a colander and then on top of the wire rack over a sheet tray.
3. Bake the ricotta for about 3 hours at 235ºF (113ºC) turning the sheet tray around every hour.
4. If possible, turn the oven off and leave it in overnight. I really like the consistency this step provides as the ricotta cools down really slowly keeping the left over moisture in but creating a nice crust on top. However it is not necessary and you can simply let it cool at room temp for about 20 minutes.
Unmold and enjoy with some crusty bread and a nice drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil!